Category: General News
Posted Jun 28, 2017 15:49 (GMT +7)
Robots to Enhance not Replace Humans in most Jobs: ARM Survey
- 61% of respondents think AI will help society, with only 22% believing change will be negative
- Future jobs: 30% list job concerns as biggest drawback of AI citing construction, delivery and transportation as being most impacted
- Healthcare: 57% willing to let an AI doctor perform an eye exam; 41% open to brain surgery by an AI doctor
- Autonomous driving: 55% would trust an autonomous car if safety record is proven better than human-driven vehicles, with 70% expecting to trust them in a decade
CAMBRIDGE, England--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Jun. 27, 2017
Consumers who believe AI will lead to rampaging, job-taking robot chaos are in the minority according to an ARM-commissioned independent global survey of nearly 4000 consumers. When considering a future where Artificial Intelligence (AI) is increasingly part of their lives, 30 percent of consumers identified “fewer or different jobs for humans” as the biggest drawback. However, respondents remained positive that robots would enhance rather than replace humans in most jobs, and assist by increasingly performing more tedious and dangerous jobs.
This Smart News Release features multimedia. View the full release here: http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20170627005941/en/
“It is encouraging to see the survey results highlighting the optimism and opportunities tied to AI, but we are just scratching the surface of its potential,” said Joyce Kim, vice president, global marketing, brand and communications, ARM. “The impact of AI on jobs will be disruptive but it can be a manageable and highly positive disruption in terms of opportunities and enhancing our lives. If we increase our investments in STEM and educating the next-generation workforce on AI technologies, we can ensure they are not left behind in the robot economy.”
The survey was carried out by Northstar Research Partners and ARM. Researchers surveyed only consumers with some knowledge of AI, gauging opinions from nearly 4,000 respondents across the US, UK, Sweden, Germany, China, Taiwan, Japan and South Korea.
Survey respondents believed that jobs in manufacturing and banking would be most disrupted by new AI technologies while professions related to cooking, fire-fighting and farming will continue to be the domain of humans. This was the view of most people surveyed about a robotic future; with those surveyed in Asia responding most positively, followed by the US and then Europe.
Overall, consumers were surprisingly optimistic on the future outlook with 61 percent believing that “society would become better” with increased automation and AI. In particular they support applications in health care and science, and are prepared to trust machines to diagnose illnesses, drive cars and be personal companions.
Key Survey Findings Summary: Benefits vs Drawbacks for Consumers
What is the biggest benefit of a future in which AI significantly impacts life?
- 37% believe there will be advancements that help humans, i.e., in medicine and science
- 29% believe tedious or dangerous tasks will be done by robots
- 19% believe in lower business cost leading to better service and lower prices
- 11% see less chance of human accidents/ mistakes
- 5% more free time
What is the biggest drawback of a future in which AI significantly impacts life?
- 30% Fewer or different jobs for humans
- 20% Giving some control over our lives to machines
- 18% More data being shared and potentially stolen online
- 12% Societal issues around fewer opportunities for humans/ feeling less useful/ too much free time
- 11% Machines becoming independent and able to think for themselves
- 9% Tendency to build relationships with machines more than humans
Learn more about this research and download the full report here.
ARM technology is at the heart of a computing and connectivity revolution that is transforming the way people live and businesses operate. Our advanced, energy-efficient processor designs are enabling the intelligence in 100 billion silicon chips and securely powering products from the sensor to the smartphone to the supercomputer. With more than 1,000 technology partners including the world's largest business and consumer brands, we are driving ARM innovation into all areas compute is happening inside the chip, the network and the cloud.
About Northstar Research Partners Ltd
Northstar Research Partners, a member of the MDC Partners Network, is a leading global full-service market research and consulting firm. Established in 1998 and having grown to 50+ team members, Northstar has completed over 5,000 qualitative, quantitative and consumer anthropology studies with services in both consumer and business-to-business channels.
View source version on businesswire.com: http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20170627005941/en/
Allison & Partners
Distribute your news release with us
Our media lists include news desks at all leading Thai and English-language dailies.
Radio & TV
We deliver your news to leading Thai radio stations and TV channels.
All releases are submitted to Internet news sites, including several with guaranteed pickup.
Our Self-Serve News Release Couldn't Be Simpler
Our streamlined online process makes it simple and fast to submit your news to the Thai media. Once registered, just enter or copy your text into our submission form and you'll see an instant preview with our fee based on the word count, translation, and any attached image. To confirm submission, hit Enter to be taken to our payment processor. Once payment is approved, your release passes automatically to our news desk for translation and dissemination by our skilled and experienced team. You'll be kept informed at each step of the process.