Seamless Integration of Multiple Technologies Necessary for Southeast Asia to Achieve Carbon Neutrality: Black & Veatch
Posted May 18, 2023 11:04 (GMT +7)
Black & Veatch to share its strategies for integrating renewable energy, liquefied natural gas (LNG) and hydrogen at Future Energy Asia
BANGKOK--(BUSINESS WIRE)--May. 15, 2023
Southeast Asia must continue to prioritize the integration of renewable energy and the addition of new natural gas infrastructure to achieve an affordable, resilient and sustainable energy future, according to Black & Veatch, a global leader in critical infrastructure solutions.
Further, the industry and governments in the region must continue to collaborate on enabling long-term conditions that facilitate the deployment of future technology solutions across hydrogen and ammonia, carbon capture, energy storage and bidirectional, cross-border grids.
“A successful and equitable energy transition involves planning for and integrating multiple technologies to ensure that everyone has access to a stable and reasonably priced energy supply. Working in tandem with renewable energy, highly flexible and dispatchable generation, such as gas-fired power generation and small and mid-scale LNG project development, are essential to accomplishing these goals,” says Narsingh Chaudhary, Executive Vice President and Managing Director, Asia-Pacific, Black & Veatch.
Gas-fired power generation has the quick ramp-up and ramp-down capabilities needed to adapt to changing grid energy demands. Advanced gas turbines in a simple cycle configuration can supply more than 400 MW to the grid in 10 minutes and are designed to reach full combined cycle load in 30 minutes to one hour.
New gas turbine technologies can operate at low loads of less than 25 percent of their baseload capacity in some cases and ramp at 10 to 15 percent of their full load capacity per minute. Most modern turbine technology can co-fire emissions-free hydrogen, and by 2030, most original equipment manufacturers predict that new turbines will be 100 percent hydrogen capable.
Additionally, Floating LNG (FLNG) liquefaction facilities and floating storage and regasification units (FSRUs), can function as alternative and proven delivery mechanisms in LNG value chain. Black & Veatch’s bankable and cost-efficient LNG solutions help accelerate production, monetize gas fields and bring pipeline gas to market, faster.
These features of gas-fired generation make it suitable for baseload generation and stabilizing the grid alongside an expected increase in battery energy storage system deployments.
A survey conducted by Black & Veatch before the ongoing energy crisis indicates that gas-fired power plants have a future as an investment class in Asia. Approximately half of the respondents believe that over the next five years there will be “more investment” in gas or LNG-to-power facilities combined with carbon capture.
At this year’s Future Energy Asia Exhibition & Summit 2023, Chaudhary will discuss how expanding gas-fired generation can help to keep power grids with high variable renewable energy generation in balance.
In addition to presenting strategies for integrating renewable energy, LNG and hydrogen, other topics Black & Veatch subject matter experts will discuss at Future Energy Asia include:
- Best practices from a regional hybrid solar deployment.
- The potential of Combined Heat and Power (CHP) and improved energy efficiency.
- The multiple roads to green hydrogen viability.
- Plans to achieve grid parity of alternative fuels like green hydrogen and ammonia.
- LNG business opportunities in Thailand and the potential of small-scale LNG technology.
Contact Black & Veatch for more information.
- Black & Veatch’s integrated and complete offerings of LNG solutions stem from more than 50 years of developing LNG technology with an engineering, procurement and construction (EPC) mindset, offering design, procurement, fabrication and construction for LNG production, storage, regasification and send out facilities. Our proven and simple PRICO® liquefaction technology safely brings LNG to the market faster, and is ideal for onshore, offshore and nearshore applications.
- Black & Veatch is involved in five of the world’s nine FLNG vessels commissioned, in advanced stage of construction or awarded.
- Black & Veatch’s expertise and technology are integral to FLNG projects including Eni’s (formerly Exmar’s) Tango FLNG, and three FLNG vessels developed by Golar LNG. On these projects, Black & Veatch provided topside engineering and procurement services.
- Black & Veatch has been appointed by The Green Solutions (TGS) to study the production and storage of green hydrogen in Vietnam utilizing solar or wind power supplied through the grid.
- Black & Veatch has been selected by Mitsubishi Power Americas and Magnum Development, co-developers of what will be the world’s largest industrial green hydrogen production and storage facility, to provide EPC services for the Advanced Clean Energy Storage project in Utah, United States of America.
About Black & Veatch
Black & Veatch is a 100-percent employee-owned global engineering, procurement, consulting and construction company with a more than 100-year track record of innovation in sustainable infrastructure. Since 1915, we have helped our clients improve the lives of people around the world by addressing the resilience and reliability of our most important infrastructure assets. Our revenues in 2022 were US$4.3 billion. Follow us on www.bv.com and on social media.
View source version on businesswire.com: https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20230514005080/en/
Media Contact Information:
EMILY CHIA | +65 6335 6623 P | +65 9875 8907 M | Chialp@bv.com
24-HOUR MEDIA EMAIL | Media@bv.com
Distribute your news release with us
Our media lists include news desks at all leading Thai and English-language dailies.
Radio & TV
We deliver your news to leading Thai radio stations and TV channels.
All releases are submitted to Internet news sites, including several with guaranteed pickup.
Our Self-Serve News Release Couldn't Be Simpler
Our streamlined online process makes it simple and fast to submit your news to the Thai media. Once registered, just enter or copy your text into our submission form and you'll see an instant preview with our fee based on the word count, translation, and any attached image. To confirm submission, hit Enter to be taken to our payment processor. Once payment is approved, your release passes automatically to our news desk for translation and dissemination by our skilled and experienced team. You'll be kept informed at each step of the process.