American Express Reveals 2023 Top Travel Trends
Posted Mar 25, 2023 08:19 (GMT +7)
- American Express Travel’s 2023 Global Travel Trends Report1 shows travelers, and particularly Gen Z and Millennials2, plan to spend more on travel in 2023 than 2022.
- Travelers are inspired by their favorite shows and movies, choosing their next dream destination based on what they’ll eat, and driven by a desire for greater wellness and support for local communities.
NEW YORK--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Mar. 23, 2023
American Express Travel® released their 2023 Global Travel Trends Report today, highlighting four global trends inspiring people to travel this year:
This press release features multimedia. View the full release here: https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20230323005091/en/
American Express Travel's 2023 Global Travel Trends Report
- The Rise of “Set-Jetting”: Popular movies, TV shows and social media are inspiring people to travel to places they see onscreen, like Italy, Paris, Yellowstone, and London
- Delicious Destinations: From top restaurants to local favorites to cooking classes, people are choosing their next destination based on what they’ll eat
- A Wellness Wave: Restorative vacations are on the rise as travelers prioritize self-care and mental and physical health
- Traveling Off the Beaten Path: Travelers want to discover hidden gems and support the local community when they visit
The report, based on survey data from travelers from the United States, Australia, Canada, Mexico, Japan, India and the United Kingdom, found that more than half (52%) of respondents say they plan to take more trips this year than last year and 50% of respondents are planning to spend more money on travel in 2023 than 2022. 84% of Gen Z and Millennials surveyed would rather take a dream vacation than purchase a new luxury item, and 79% agree that travel is an important budget priority.
“Vacations are precious, and travelers are prioritizing personalized itineraries built around their passions, from planning an entire vacation for a single dinner reservation to getting the perfect video for TikTok,” says Audrey Hendley, President of American Express Travel. “No matter what the inspiration is, American Express Travel Consultants have the expertise to help every type of traveler plan all types of trips.”
Top insights from American Express Travel’s 2023 Global Travel Trends Report include:
- Pop culture and social media are influencing the rise of “set-jetting,” especially among younger travelers.
- 75% of respondents agree that they have been inspired to travel to a specific destination by social media
- 70% of Gen Z and Millennials surveyed agree that they have been inspired to visit a destination after seeing it featured in a TV show, news source, or movie
- 46% of Gen Z and Millennials surveyed say they have been inspired to travel to a destination because of Instagram
- From visiting top restaurants and local favorites to taking a cooking class, food has a huge impact on where people travel.
- 81% of respondents agree that trying local foods and cuisines is the part of traveling they look forward to the most
- 66% of Gen Z and Millennials surveyed agree that they get most of their eating-while-traveling inspiration from social media
- Nearly half (47%) of Gen Z and Millennials surveyed agree that they have planned an entire trip around visiting a specific restaurant
- Prioritizing self-care is leading to a rise in restorative vacations.
- 73% of respondents are planning vacations to better their mental, physical, and emotional health this year
- 60% of Gen Z and Millennials surveyed say they go out of their way to book hotels that offer spa and wellness services
- Travelers want to discover hidden gems and support the local communities they visit.
- 85% of respondents want to visit a place where they can truly experience the local culture
- 78% of respondents are interested in going on vacations that support local communities in 2023
As the demand for travel continues into 2023, American Express Travel provides eligible Card Members with exceptional travel access, including 1,400+ airport lounges through its Global Lounge Collection; 7,000+ Travel Consultants; restaurant reservations through Resy and curated where-to-eat guides at Resy.com/Travel; benefits at 2,000+ hand-picked hotels around the world via Fine Hotels + Resorts® and The Hotel Collection; and more.
The full American Express Travel 2023 Global Travel Trends Report can be viewed here.
ABOUT AMERICAN EXPRESS
American Express is a globally integrated payments company, providing customers with access to products, insights and experiences that enrich lives and build business success. Learn more at americanexpress.com and connect with us on facebook.com/americanexpress, instagram.com/americanexpress, linkedin.com/company/american-express, twitter.com/americanexpress, and youtube.com/americanexpress.
Key links to products, services and corporate responsibility information: personal cards, business cards and services, travel services, gift cards, prepaid cards, merchant services, Accertify, Kabbage, Resy, corporate card, business travel, diversity and inclusion, corporate responsibility and Environmental, Social, and Governance reports.
1The American Express 2023 Global Travel Trends Report is based on data obtained through an online poll conducted by Morning Consult between February 3rd – 11th, 2023 among a sample of 1,000 travelers from Australia, Canada, India, Japan, Mexico, UK and 2,000 travelers in the US who have a household income of at least a $70k equivalent, and who typically travel by air at least once a year. Results from each market’s survey have a margin of error of plus or minus 3 percentage points.
2Gen Z and Millennials are defined as respondents as being born between 1981 - 2012.
Seller of Travel
American Express Travel Related Services Company, Inc. is acting solely as a sales agent for travel suppliers and is not responsible for the actions or inactions of such suppliers. Certain suppliers pay us commission and other incentives for reaching sales targets or other goals and may provide incentives to our Travel Consultants. For more information visit www.americanexpress.com/travelterms.
California CST#1022318; Washington UBI#600-469-694
Source: American Express Company
Location: New York
View source version on businesswire.com: https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20230323005091/en/
Distribute your news release with us
Our media lists include news desks at all leading Thai and English-language dailies.
Radio & TV
We deliver your news to leading Thai radio stations and TV channels.
All releases are submitted to Internet news sites, including several with guaranteed pickup.
Our Self-Serve News Release Couldn't Be Simpler
Our streamlined online process makes it simple and fast to submit your news to the Thai media. Once registered, just enter or copy your text into our submission form and you'll see an instant preview with our fee based on the word count, translation, and any attached image. To confirm submission, hit Enter to be taken to our payment processor. Once payment is approved, your release passes automatically to our news desk for translation and dissemination by our skilled and experienced team. You'll be kept informed at each step of the process.