Kioxia Introduces Industry’s First EDSFF Solid State Drives Designed With PCIe® 5.0 Technology
Posted Nov 9, 2021 13:34 (GMT +7)
New KIOXIA CD7 E3.S Series EDSFF E3.S Data Center SSDs Optimized for Density and Efficiency
TOKYO--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Nov. 09, 2021
Kioxia Corporation today announced the industry’s first lineup of Enterprise and Datacenter Standard Form Factor (EDSFF) E3.S SSDs designed with PCIe® 5.0 technology – the KIOXIA CD7 E3.S Series, bringing in a new era for flash memory used in servers and storage. Building on Kioxia’s E3.S development samples that received a ‘Best in Show’ award at last year’s Flash Memory Summit, the CD7 E3.S Series increases flash storage density per drive for optimized power efficiency and rack consolidation.
This press release features multimedia. View the full release here: https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20211108006197/en/
Kioxia Corporation: Industry’s First EDSFF SSDs Designed with PCIe® 5.0 Technology: KIOXIA CD7 E3.S Series (Photo: Business Wire)
Breaking free from the design limitations of the 2.5-inch form factor, the EDSFF E3 family is optimized for the needs of high-performance, highly efficient servers and storage. EDSFF enables the next generation of SSDs to address future data center architectures, while supporting a variety of new devices and applications. It provides improved airflow and thermals, and signal integrity benefits. Support for higher E3.S power budgets than 2.5-inch form factor SSDs and better signal integrity allows EDSFF to deliver the performance promised by PCIe 5.0 technology and beyond.
Kioxia is an active and contributing member to the industry development of EDSFF solutions, and is collaborating with leading server and storage system developers to unlock the full power of flash memory, NVMe™ and PCIe.
CD7 E3.S Series Key Features
- EDSFF E3.S form factor with capacities up to 7.68TB
- Designed to the latest PCIe 5.0 specification and optimized for x2 PCIe lane performance
- Using fewer PCIe lanes increases number of PCIe devices that can be supported
- Built on Kioxia’s BiCS FLASH™ 3D TLC flash memory
- Up to 6,450 MB/s read throughput and 1,050K random read IOPS
- 75μs read and 14μs write latencies, which are approximately 17% and 60% lower latencies than Kioxia’s previous generation PCIe 4.0 SSDs, respectively.
- LEDs are embedded on the case of E3.S models and the status of the SSDs can be recognized visually. This means that there is no need to implement additional LEDs, which traditionally were embedded in the drive tray of the system chassis, contributing to saving system cost.
The KIOXIA CD7 E3.S Series is now sampling to select OEM customers.
More information on EDSFF E3 technology can be found in the following whitepaper from Dell, HPE and Kioxia.
 As of November 9, 2021, Kioxia survey.
 Compared to 2.5-inch form factor SSDs. “2.5-inch" indicates the form factor of the SSD. It does not indicate the drive's physical size.
* Definition of capacity: Kioxia defines a megabyte (MB) as 1,000,000 bytes, a gigabyte (GB) as 1,000,000,000 bytes and a terabyte (TB) as 1,000,000,000,000 bytes. A computer operating system, however, reports storage capacity using powers of 2 for the definition of 1GB = 230 = 1,073,741,824 bytes and therefore shows less storage capacity. Available storage capacity (including examples of various media files) will vary based on file size, formatting, settings, software and operating system, such as Microsoft Operating System and/or pre-installed software applications, or media content. Actual formatted capacity may vary.
*PCIe is a registered trademark of PCI-SIG.
*NVMe is a registered or unregistered mark of NVM Express, Inc. in the United States and other countries.
*All other company names, product names and service names may be trademarks of their respective companies.
Kioxia is a world leader in memory solutions, dedicated to the development, production and sale of flash memory and solid-state drives (SSDs). In April 2017, its predecessor Toshiba Memory was spun off from Toshiba Corporation, the company that invented NAND flash memory in 1987. Kioxia is committed to uplifting the world with “memory” by offering products, services and systems that create choice for customers and memory-based value for society. Kioxia's innovative 3D flash memory technology, BiCS FLASH™, is shaping the future of storage in high-density applications, including advanced smartphones, PCs, SSDs, automotive and data centers.
Sales Promotion Division
*Information in this document, including product prices and specifications, content of services and contact information, is correct on the date of the announcement but is subject to change without prior notice.
View source version on businesswire.com: https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20211108006197/en/
Sales Strategic Planning Division
Distribute your news release with us
Our media lists include news desks at all leading Thai and English-language dailies.
Radio & TV
We deliver your news to leading Thai radio stations and TV channels.
All releases are submitted to Internet news sites, including several with guaranteed pickup.
Our Self-Serve News Release Couldn't Be Simpler
Our streamlined online process makes it simple and fast to submit your news to the Thai media. Once registered, just enter or copy your text into our submission form and you'll see an instant preview with our fee based on the word count, translation, and any attached image. To confirm submission, hit Enter to be taken to our payment processor. Once payment is approved, your release passes automatically to our news desk for translation and dissemination by our skilled and experienced team. You'll be kept informed at each step of the process.